The newly opened Harbor Bait and Tackle Shop (formerly D&W Bait and Tackle) in Painesville Township is primed and ready for its first-ever steelhead fishing derby.
And it is kicking off at what could be an excellent weekend of angling. The recent heavy rains and cool temperatures are almost certain to have brought in a slug of fish into the area's Lake Erie tributaries.
And though the Grand River may still be too high and muddy to fish well on Saturday and Sunday the other streams of Northeast Ohio will almost certainly see fishing.
That prospect includes the Chagrin River with potential all the way upstream to Cleveland Metroparks' South Chagrin Reservation, due almost exclusively to the failure this past spring of the low-head dam at Gates Mills Village.
Here are the rules for Harbor's Steelhead Fishing Derby:
1. May only enter fish caught upon hook and line and retrieved by rod and reel in a legal manner, as designated under the laws set by The State of Ohio within the waters and tributaries of Lake Erie. Entrants must possess a valid Ohio fishing license.
2. Entry fee is $15.00
3. Must be officially registered at least one day prior to fishing.
4. Fish must be weighed in fresh; fish that have been frozen will not be accepted.
5. Agrees to abide by official rules and regulations and agrees that failure to comply will result in automatic disqualification and forfeiture of all prizes and recognition as winner.
6. Is entitled to only one prize although contestant may enter one or more fish, if the succeeding fish is larger, the smaller will be withdrawn.
7. Agrees that in the event of a tie involving any of the winning positions, the prize money for those positions will be combined and distributed equally between the two entrants.
8. Agrees to hold the contest officials, sponsors, their agents, servants or employees harmless for any liability of any nature and kind for injuries and or damages suffered by the entrant during the contest period.
9. Weigh station (Harbor Bait and Tackle) Fish must be checked in during regular business hours. No fish shall be checked in after hours. Contest starts October 1st at 6 a.m. Contest ends March 31, 2012 at 5 p.m. Prize money will be awarded Sunday April 8, 2012 at 1 p.m.
10. 100-percent pay-back will be awarded to the top twenty places.
11. Steelhead entered over reasonable size (28 inches) may be entered. Weight and length combined will determine the winner on a point system (16 points per inch and
16 points per pound).
All entrants are subject to a polygraph test. All Judges’ decisions are final.
For further information, contact Donald H. Moore, 786 Richmond St., Painesville Township, phone - 440-354-8473, email - email@example.com.
- Jeffrey L. Frischkorn