Thursday, January 10, 2013

Ohio Sen. Portman says he's four-square behind the Second Amendment

In an electronic exchange between Ohio junior U.S. Senator Rob Portman and myself, the legislator made it clear where he stands on the Second Amendment and on recent calls for additional - and what many firearms owners would say are draconian - restrictions on firearms and ammunition ownership.

This is Sen. Portman's electronic reply to my inquiry:

"Dear Jeffrey,
 
"Thank you for contacting me  about our Second Amendment rights.   It is good to hear from you.
 
"I am a gun owner who believes in the right to bear arms in defense of self, family and property. 

"During my 12 years serving in Congress, I received an "A" rating from the National Rifle Association for defending our Constitutional Rights.  I opposed the so-called "assault weapons ban" and opposed the Brady Bill.

"I supported repealing both the Clinton gun ban and the Washington, D.C. gun ban.

"I voted to protect the private information of gun owners; to protect state gun laws; and to protect firearm and ammunition manufacturers, dealers or importers from lawsuits and damages related to criminal misuse by a third party. 
 
As a life-long hunter, I also believe the rights and freedoms of hunters must be guarded and I developed an executive order that the president signed to enhance hunting and fishing opportunities at wildlife refuges and national preserves. 

"As your Senator, I will continue to protect our Constitutional freedoms and will be a strong advocate for preserving these rights and traditions for future generations.
 
"Thank you for taking the time to contact my office. 

"For more information, I encourage you to visit my website at www.portman.senate.gov. 

"Please keep in touch."

- Jeffrey L. Frischkorn
JFrischkorn@News-Herald.com
Twitter: @Fieldkorn 

No comments:

Post a Comment