Wednesday, August 5, 2009

It's been a while (But good excuse)

Sorry for the delay but I was kindly indisposed with a vacation. All the way to Canada's Yukon Territory, in fact; a distance of around 3,000 miles. Not a brag, just still happy as a satisfied clam with the trip.

The worst part (as always) is the traveling. I work myself up over going through airports and pray that I'll make connections and that my bags will be following me. I did and they did, thank heavens.

The trip was to fish for large pike with a fly rod with a lesser attraction on catching big lake trout. As it turned out, it was the other way around. I caught pike up to 10 to 15 pounds but lakers from the 20- to 45-pound range. I even was satisfied by catching them via trolling; a technique I'm hardly in love with.

All were taken from Wellesley Lake at its Klune Wilderness Lodge. The lake is about as long as the distance between Mentor Lagoons and the Perry Nuclear Power Plant while its width runs about from Lake Erie to Route 90 in Mentor.

This was my third trip to the Yukon, a piece of real estate the size of California with a population of about Painesville City combined with Painesville Township. You go a long ways between villages and people.

A thorough exploration of the trip is planned for The News-Herald's Travel Section on August 16. I'm also planning on developing a Power Point presentation, if any group is interested.

Still, it's good to be back and I'm caught up on the news that the lake's walleye fishing has hit the skids while its steelhead fishing has really taken off. Meanwhile the perch fishing has seen its ups and downs. More on those things with Friday's weekly fishing report.

But I will again be off next week as my wife and I take care of our four grandchildren while our daughter has her fifth child. Love being a grandfather. It gives me more kids to take fishing.

- Jeffrey L. Frischkorn
JFrischkorn@News-Herald.com

No comments:

Post a Comment