Monday, August 31, 2009

Only hours away ( Getting ready for the season)

For about one week now I've been quietly assembling the necessary artifacts for another hunting season, which begins tomorrow at 6:54 a.m. for early Canada goose and mourning dove.

Yesterday (Sunday) my wife (Bev) and me put out nine floating goose decoys in the farm pond. We hadn't rowed back more than 15 minutes before about a dozen geese circled the pond and landed right smack at the edge of the decoys. Cool stuff.

Yet I'm not planning on getting to the pond until later Tuesday morning (though most certainly early Wednesday morning).

Nope. I'm looking at rising at around 3:30 a.m. Tuesday and driving to Mosquito Creek Wildlife Area in the hopes of doing some dove hunting, a tradition for the start of the hunting season.

Later in the month my brother (Rich) and I will take on squirrels and I just gotta' get my Ithaca slug shotgun sighted in along with doing some shooting with my .45 ACP auto.

And I've started to get my archery places in order and primed for deer.

Can't forget the fishing, either. I'll be out - good weather permitting - for the Lake County Visitors Bureau PerchFest.

After a month of doodling around in August I'm excited about the real deal.

- Jeffrey L. Frischkorn
JFrischkorn@News-Herald.com

No comments:

Post a Comment